Article 2

Morris FD

The Herald News

Article 2

 

December 18, 2015

Morris family displaced by attic fire

The Herald-News - Published by the The Herald-News

MORRIS – Two adults, three children, a cat and a dog were displaced Friday when a structure fire broke out in the attic of their Second Avenue home, according to Morris Fire Protection & Ambulance District Chief Tracey Steffes.

"Upon the arrival of the first fire company, light smoke was coming from the attic space and eaves of the residence," Steffes said in a news release.

Firefighters who responded to the 8:22 a.m. call found a smoldering fire in the attic. After opening the concealed spaces in the attic they found the fire had burned several of the structural pieces of the ceiling.

Steffes said in the release that the fire was contained to the living room ceiling and it was believed to have started from an electrical short.

Morris firefighters were assisted by Minooka, Coal City, Channahon, Lisbon and Seneca fire agencies and Morris police.

The Red Cross was notified to provide assistance to the family, as were Operation St. Nick board members to help provide Christmas assistance.

"There is never a good time to have a fire, however it is extra emotional for a family during the holiday season," Steffes said in the release.

Damage is estimated to be about $30,000.

 

 

 

 

 

 

.