Article 3

Morris Herald News

December 22, 2015

Article 3

 

December 22, 2015

Church collecting donations for Morris family whose house was destroyed

The Herald-News - Published by the The Herald-News

MORRIS – Jake and Krista Offerman did not plan on spending Christmas in a hotel room, but after a fire destroyed their Morris home Friday, the hotel room is where they are staying with their three children.

Krista said that as she was getting their three daughters ready for school Friday morning, Jake went out to start the car and noticed smoke coming from the roof area.

“The firefighters said it was smoldering all night,” she said. “I kept thinking that our bedroom was below it. What would have happened if we didn’t wake up?”

Morris Fire Protection and Ambulance District Chief Tracey Steffes said firefighters battled the blaze for an hour with assistance from several fire districts, and it was believed to have started from something electrical.

On Sunday, word got around First Christian Church in Morris that a family who had attended there was the one who lost their home – and church members got to work to help.

Krista said the help has been overwhelming, and the family feels blessed the community cares so much about them.

“There is a girl who works here at the Holiday Inn named Lindsey who went shopping after her night shift and bought the girls swimsuits, clothes and some Christmas decorations,” Krista said.

She said that Heidi Lawless, owner of EVOLVEkids where her girls take tumbling, held a toy drive, and the hotel room is overflowing with piles of new Barbies. Although the family has all the clothes and toys it needs, it continues to need a new home to live in. They are looking for rental homes in the Morris area.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.